Wednesday, June 29, 2011
Tuesday, June 28, 2011
Tuesday, June 21, 2011
1. Has a flair for the dramatic. A couple of weeks ago, Josh stayed home with a fever due to ear infection. When one of her teachers asked where Josh was, Emma replied "It's really very sad."
2. On the same occasion as above, Emma impressed her teachers by correctly telling them what street she lives on. When they expressed amazement, she responded "It's an easy state to remember."
3. Is really paying attention to her Bible stories and even made Brad pull out the Bible to check after she told us that God told him to go to Nineveh but he started out to Tarshish instead. We both knew he was supposed to go to Nineveh but neither of us would have been able to tell you, Jonah really started for Tarshish.
4. Refers to antibacterial hand sanitizer as "magic soap."
5. Is bound and determined to swim by herself and thinks she can do it. I'll give her credit though because she did try one day and each time, even though she started going under water, she tried again. However, we have to watch closely because she will try to ditch the swim belt without warning anybody.
6. Is a great Mommy to her babies and has mastered the art of diapering.
7. Has become really brave about trying new foods, which I will attribute to the influence of her friends. While she doesn't like 90% of what she tries, at least she is trying it.
8. Loves, loves, loves Amelia Bedilia, Eloise, and Fancy Nancy books.
9. Sometimes makes me forget she is 3 after she says things like "Looks like there is some weather coming in" following the tone alert notice on the radio.
10. Has mastered the art of procrastination at bedtime, which often times gets her into hot water.
Friday, June 17, 2011
1. Officially pacifier-free as of last Friday. No more "ashi" for Josh. The transition went fairly smoothly and he hasn't even missed it at nap time. However, it hasn't all been sunshine and roses as we did have several nights of crying himself to sleep along with some early wake-ups but I'm hoping we're just about over the worst of it!
2. Loves to play the guitar, any guitar, just give him a guitar already! He has clearly been watching Mr. Nathan at school as closely as Emma because he has got the idea and many times won't play unless he has a pick in hand.
3. No longer refers to Brad and myself as "Dada" and "Mama"; we are now "Daddy" and "Mommy."
4. Josh is so loud. Seriously, before he arrived I thought Emma was loud but turns out, not so much. I guess maybe he feels it is the only way to get a word in. He seems especially loud at 4:45 in the morning when he is in his room yelling for "Mommy." I do wonder how Emma continues to sleep most mornings after Josh wakes for the day.
5. Loves him some donuts (and really any sweet treat). We made a Starbucks run the other morning and as soon as we entered the parking lot, Josh started yelling "Donut" and "I want donut." He did not get a donut but we did hear about donut's basically the rest of the way to daycare.
Thursday, June 16, 2011
Friday, June 10, 2011
Wednesday, June 8, 2011
The other night while I was making dinner, Emma and Josh were busy playing and having a great time. At one point, I heard a door shut. Once I finally had a chance, I headed back to open the door and make sure they weren't up to any trouble. I opened Josh's door to find him with a bare bottom and Emma in the process of stuffing a diaper into the diaper pail. She had taken it upon herself to change his diaper. She had even gotten out the diaper cream and spread some on. I will give her credit for not putting on too much and making a huge mess. At this point, I took over and put a new diaper on Josh but in hindsight, I kind of wish I had been a couple of minutes later just to see how she would have done.
On the same night, after dinner, Emma and Josh resumed playing and Emma was getting Josh to go "night night" in her bed. She went through the whole routine including their nighttime prayer and an admonition not to make any trips; more proof that she does hear us even if the follow through is lacking. Josh was more than happy to play along and get tucked into Emma's bed. At one point, I stopped as I was walking by and Josh looked at me and said "Night night Mommy" before laying his head back down on the pillow. I think he is angling for a big boy bed!
Josh and I were killing time at Walgreen's while Emma was at the dentist the other day and he got such a kick out of looking at the baby in the overhead mirrors. I had to remind him several times that said baby was actually him. He was also excited to see his Mama up there.
Tuesday, June 7, 2011
Emma and Josh loved getting to soak up some time with their cousins, Uncle Dale, Aunt Michelle, and Papa! Michelle is definitely the hostess with mostess and we're so glad that we were able to be there for the big celebration. Way to go Thomas! We can't wait to see what you will accomplish next!