Monday, March 14, 2011

A Week in Review

Since I don't specify a specific week, I guess I could choose any point in time. However, I will spare you the ho hum of our normal weekly routine and just flash back to last week. The previous week kicked off with an early start so we could get downtown for the Little Rock half marathon. It was my first running of the half in five years and while my main goal was to finish, I would be lying if I said I didn't want to finish in approximately the same time as my first half six years ago. Brad, Emma and Josh braved the cold to cheer me on and it gave me such a boost to see them around miles 1, 6, 8, and 13. I started off pretty well but definitely started slowing down around mile 9. However, I persevered and ended up with an official finishing time that was one second faster than 2005. Now that I have one under my belt, I know that I can get under two hours again so that is the goal for next year and yes, I am already talking about next year.

Almost there...that is the only reason I can explain any smile!

Trying to stay warm with two members of my cheering squad after the race!

Following a nice run to start the day, it was time to come home so I could finish packing for my trip to Washington D.C. It had been approximately two years since I had been to a conference and it was the first time that I had been away from Josh. In addition to spending my days at the conference, I was lucky enough to get to spend one evening with Rebecca, Dave and Lily and hang out with Jane and John a couple of nights who were kind enough to let me stay at their place. I also attended Slipper Camp with Jane one morning, which entailed "running" up the hill at the National Zoo with stops along the way for some leg, arm, and ab exercises. I did get away one afternoon for a trip to the Holocaust museum. While it was nice to get away for the conference, it was even better to be home and I was certainly greeted by two excited kids on Thursday evening. Josh generally smiles big but I don't think I have ever seen a bigger smile on his face. What a welcome!

We rounded out the week with swim lessons but I think those deserve a post in their own and of course, the time change. Thankfully I think that Emma and Josh are adjusting well to the time change although Emma doesn't like the idea that she has to go to bed when it is light out. There you have, one week in review!

2 comments:

MaryBeth said...

Very impressive to come in better than 2005!! Way to go! I can't wait to hear how swimming lessons are going. The girls are going to do lessons for the first time this year the first week after school is out. They are all swimming (or at least they think they can) so I want to get some safety behind them before we are too deep into summertime.

Mom said...

Never a dull moment, and what a great blog with all that is going on in your life. Congrats on finishing the half marathon with a better time than 2005, and with three of your greatest fans to cheer you on.